Thursday, November 19, 2015

What are you thankful for?

Joy is the simplest form of gratitude. Karl Barth

This  past weekend I was able to spend the majority of it outside with my children. I am so thankful for this extended fall weather and the joy it has brought to my kids. At this same time I pondered how I can continually teach my children to be grateful, with the holiday season approaching.  As I thought about this, I read a few parenting articles on helping make our child be grateful and the benefits it has on children. Three ideas stuck out to me as I read the article;

1.      A 2003 study at the University of California at Davis showed that grateful people report higher levels of happiness and optimism -- along with lower levels of depression and stress.
2.      Being grateful is a learned behavior
3.      We can teach our children how to be grateful through modeling, and by having conversations about it.


As we go into this week, a great topic for discussion is gratitude and thankfulness. Next week is Thanksgiving and makes for a good conversation around this topic. Teachers have taken time this week to talk with their advisories about this topics and I encourage parents to continue this conversation at home.  For a link to the articles on being grateful, please see my blog. 


References:
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/in-praise-of-gratitude
http://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/development/behavioral/teaching-children-to-be-grateful/

No comments:

Post a Comment